The Performing Arts Department plays an integral and vital part in Pensacola State College’s rich history and promising future. Since its beginnings in 1957, this department has served thousands of students. PSC graduates can be seen in Broadway plays, Hollywood productions, and recording studios as well as directing church choirs and teaching college, high school and middle school students the joy of music. Members of the Friends of the Performing Arts Affinity Group support our talented students as they pursue their passions. The support of members enables our students to obtain new equipment, to earn a quality education, to practice in functional facilities, and to have exceptional opportunities. Friends of the Performing Arts not only support our students by giving financially, but also by being present at events.
Each year, the department hosts the Lyceum Series which presents approximately fifteen events for the community to enjoy. Past guests include Pulitzer Prize winners, Grammy winners, and internationally known artists. From journalist Leonard Pitts to the Saint Louis Brass to Mike Cooley of the Drive-By Truckers, the Lyceum Series brings an eclectic group of presenters to our community. In 2019, artists included the Italian Saxophone Quartet, Second City Improv Troupe, and TheOnion.com co-founder, Scott Dikkers. We also present three piano artists each year with the Kamerman Piano Series and approximately 70 students from the Performing Arts Department.
Support our deserving PSC students and the future of performing arts while enjoying the distinguished Lyceum Series events! Listed below are the varying levels of membership. If you have any questions, please reach out to our Donor Relations Coordinator, Mikenzie Francis.
2019 Quick Stats:
• 1,700 show attendees for the Lyceum Series (Guest Artists) Shows and 3,200 for Theatre Productions
• 19 visiting artists
• 59 students received approximately $73,000 in scholarships
• Professional Workshops: masterclasses in voice, acting, and various instruments by professional guest artists from around the world
• 17 Lyceum Series Events, 4 Theatrical Productions, Approximately 17 Additional Free Concerts such as Bands, Choirs, Guitar, Percussion, ComposerFest, etc.
Friends of the Performing Arts Helped:
• Purchase microphones for the Ashmore Auditorium
• Make it possible for six music students to afford to attend PSC for the Fall and the Spring terms in the amount of $3,000
• Raise $38,086.21 to support PSC Performing Arts